Privacy and Cookies Policy
At Black Kiku, we are committed to doing the right thing when it comes to how we collect, use and protect your personal information. That’s why we have developed this privacy and cookies policy, which:
- sets out the types of personal information we collect about you,
- explains how and why we collect and use your personal information,
- explains when and why we will share personal information with other organisations; and
- explains the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal information.
What information do we collect about you?
When you visit our website we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. Google Analytics sets a small cookie file on your computer browser. This cookie stores no personal information about you and will keep a track of how you browse our website. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. You can find more information on how cookies are used on this website in the Cookies Policy below.
We collect personal information about you when you create an account with us or place an order for products or services. We also collect information when you voluntarily complete customer surveys, provide feedback and participate in competitions.
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address, and mobile or other telephone number);
- username and password (if you create an account with us);
- payment information (such as your payment type, billing address and/or delivery address);
- purchase and transaction information;
- customer service information (such as customer service enquiries, comments);
- photographs, comments and other content you provide;
Why we need your information and how will we use it.
We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide our services, such as when we use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, create/manage your account; process payment; provide customer support; personalise you repeat visits to our website.
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for our mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
- as necessary for the purpose of our legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as providing and improving our services. We use your information to provide the services you requested and in our legitimate interest to improve our services.
If you decide to subscribe to our emailing list, we will collect personal information (such as name and email address). We use that information to send you emails that include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc.; to contact you if we need to provide additional information; to check the accuracy of our records and to check every now and then that you are happy and satisfied. We do not rent or trade email lists with any other organisations or businesses.
You have the right at any time to unsubscribe from our email list, by clicking the unsubscribe link on the bottom of any of our emails or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about our customers is important to our business. We share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to our business, such as delivery companies. We will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If we sell or merge our business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal processes or to government requests; (b) enforce our agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our website.
How long will we keep your personal information?
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. We describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) our processing of some of your information based on our legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from us after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, we will delete your personal information unless we have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
Links to other websites
How to contact us
For purposes of UK & EU data protection law, I, Melanie J Monks, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me;
by using our Contact Form,
or write to me at:
Melanie J Monks T/A Black Kiku, 40 Powell Street, Bury, Lancs. BL8 2BG
What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
How long are cookies stored for?
Session cookies – allow websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when the user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. These session cookies expire after a browser session so would not be stored long term.
Persistent cookies – are stored on a users’ device in between browser sessions which allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site (or in some cases across different websites) to be remembered. Persistent cookies may be used for a variety of purposes including remembering users’ preferences and choices when using a site or to target advertising.
Cookies used on this website
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improve the user experience.
The cookies used on this website, listed below, have been categorised based on the classification developed by the International Chamber of Commerce UK.
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
These cookies collect anonymous information on the pages you visit. By using this website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
These cookies collect information about how visitors use this website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works.
These cookies remember the choices you make to improve your experience. By using this website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
These cookies allow this website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites
Third party cookies
These cookies allow third parties to track the success of their application or customise the application for you. Because of how cookies work we cannot access these cookies, nor can the third parties access the data in cookies used on our site.
For example, if you choose to ‘share’ content through Facebook, Twitter or other social networks you might be sent cookies from these websites. We don’t control the setting of these cookies, so please check those websites for more information about their cookies and how to manage them.
Your choices when it comes to cookies
You can use your browser settings to accept or reject new cookies and to delete existing cookies. You can also set your browser to notify you each time new cookies are placed on your device.
If you choose to disable some or all cookies, you may not be able to make full use of our website. For example, you may not be able to add items to your shopping basket, proceed to checkout, or use any of our products and services that require you to sign in.
If you choose to continue without changing your browser settings, we will assume you are happy to accept all cookies on the Black Kiku website.